Match – 6 ICC Twenty20 World Cup 2010, Group A
Date – 2 May 2010
Time – 17:30 GMT , 23:00 IST
Venue – Beausejour Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia
Toss – Australia, won the toss and elected to bat first
Result – Australia won by 34 runs
In an thrilling encounter between defending champs Pakistan and Australia, the defending champions suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Australia.
Earlier, Australia won the toss and elected to bat first. Watson and Warner gave them a perfect start and scored 51 for the first wicket partnership. Watson was the player for Australia as he hammered Pakistan bowlers and scored a brilliant 81 off just 49 balls. He was well supported by Hussey who scored 53 off 29 balls. The rest of the batting line collapsed but Australia was still able to post a huge total of 191 in 20 overs.
Pakistan started disastrously as they lost K Akmal on the very first ball of the match. This severe jolt pressurized the entire batting line up of the defending champions as they kept losing wickets at regular intervals. Though all the other batsmen got some start but none could convert it into a big score and thus eventually they fell short of the target by 34 runs.
* Australia: 50 runs in 5.2 overs, Extras 0
* SR Watson: 50 off 31 balls (4 x 4, 3 x 6)
* Australia: 100 runs in 11.4 overs, Extras 0
* Australia: 150 runs in 15.4 overs, Extras 1
* DJ Hussey: 50 off 27 balls (2 x 4, 5 x 6)
* Innings Break: Australia – 191/10 in 20.0 overs
* Pakistan: 50 runs in 6.2 overs, Extras 7
* Pakistan: 100 runs in 11.3 overs, Extras 9
* Pakistan: 150 runs in 18.2 overs, Extras 10