Match: 15th T20
Venue: Barbados | Date: May 7, 2010
Toss: India elected to field
Result: Australia won by 49 runs
Man of the match: D Warner
In the 15th match of ICC Twenty20 World cup, Australia thrashed India by 49 runs thanks to excellent batting performance by David Warner and Shane Watson. In today’s super eight encounter, Australia were invited to bat first by India. David Warner and Shane Watson smashed Indian bowlers and gave a flying start to Australia.
Watson (54 runs in 32 balls 6*6, 1*4) and Warner (72 runs in 42 balls 7*6, 2*4) scored 104 runs in a mere 65 balls for the opening wicket and laid a platform from where the middle order can launch an all out attack. Australia were finally able to post a total of 184/5 in 20 overs.
Chasing a mammoth 185 to win, India started on a disastrous note as they lost the first wicket when the score was just 10. This had a trickle down effect the Indian batsmen followed one after the other to the pavilion. At one stage, half the side was back to pavilion and score card read 37/5 in 7.5 overs.
The only batsman who offered some resistance to the strong Australian bowling attack was Rohit Sharma who scored a quickfire 46 ball 79. Finally the Indian batting line up collapsed at 135/10 in 17.4 overs. This was the first loss for India in this T20 World Cup.
* Australia: 50 runs in 5.3 overs, Extras 0
* DA Warner: 50 off 33 balls (2 x 4, 4 x 6)
* Australia: 100 runs in 10.4 overs, Extras 0
* SR Watson: 50 off 31 balls (1 x 4, 6 x 6)
* Australia: 150 runs in 15.2 overs, Extras 0
* Innings Break: Australia – 184/5 in 20.0 overs
* India: 50 runs in 10.2 overs, Extras 5
* RG Sharma: 50 off 33 balls (2 x 4, 4 x 6)
* India: 100 runs in 14.5 overs, Extras 9